As the leading mattress retailer in the United States, Sleepy’s operates 694 retail outlets in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions of the country, with plans to end the year with 735 mattress stores. This is in addition to its hugely popular 1800mattress website as well as its over-the-phone sales channel which generates its own fair share of revenues for the company. As the largest mattress retailer, Sleepy’s mattress sales revenue was estimated at roughly $725 million by trade publication, Furniture Today. This powerhouse mattress retailer not only earns big sales numbers, but they offer over two dozen mattress brands to its consumers and claim they offer the largest product selection in the world (their words, not ours).
According to information available on its website, Sleepy’s has been in business for over 50 years. They also offer an unique guarantee program that gives consumers 8 years to enjoy their mattress; if they are dissatisfied with it, Sleepy’s will replace it. These types of guaranties are the source of many consumer complaints according to our preliminary research.
Largest Mattress Selection In The World
Sleepy’s offers an extremely comprehensive list of mattress brands to consumers. This can be a good thing in the sense that shoppers really have no reason to not find a perfect product match. But their selection can also be a bad thing because sales personnel may be more inclined to sell the flavor of the day rather than the “perfect match.” While the large selection helps the Sleepy’s rating, we feel it is also a weakness for the company.
The mattress brands covered on our site that Sleepy’s retails are as follows:
- Sealy Mattresses – it makes sense that the largest mattress brand would be well represented at Sleepy’s
- Serta Mattresses – as above. What makes the Serta presence so interesting is that it co-exists with Serta on the Sleepy’s showroom floor, attesting to just how powerful Sleepy’s is when it comes to the company’s buying power. Indeed, the consumer benefits from this through advantageous pricing (this is not something that Sleepy’s openly brags about, interestingly enough).
- Simmons Mattresses – one of its higher end mattress options for consumers, its Simmons mattresses span from the value-price end all the way up to the higher end Beautyrest collections.
- Tempur-Pedic Mattresses – no question that this leading retailer would partner with the leading memory foam mattress product.
- King Koil – as a product we have not had much experience with (nor have we taken the time to review it – blame our procrastination skills on that!), King Koil certainly fills a value gap for Sleepy’s, allowing the retailer to offer mattresses at a price of under $200.
- Stearns & Foster Mattresses - the high-end luxury mattress by Serta is a no-brainer for Sleepy’s, giving it a presence in what has been a fast-growing segment in the mattress industry (2011 might be a different story once the year-end numbers are in).
- Kingsdown Mattresses – without question, Kingsdown builds a superior mattress product. Consumers seeking a quality pocket-coil mattress should be happy to find Kingsdown here.
- Chattam & Wells Mattresses – a top mattress manufacturer (though not top-tier), Chattam & Wells is known to build a superior product as well. It fills a luxury gap for consumers who want an alternative to the usual suspects.
Evidently, the selection available at Sleepy’s is rather broad. In addition to the brands listed here, the retailer also carries Miralux, Phenom, International Bedding, Laura Ashley, Dr. Breus, Pure LatexBliss as well as Sleepy’s Direct brands. Without question, one of the largest selections you will find from any mattress retailer.
What Complaints Tell Us
As with any large mattress retailer, Sleepy’s is not immune to consumer complaints. Despite its share of complaints that we have seen directly as well as indirectly on our site, the company rates exceptionally well with third-party business-rating agency, Better Business Bureau. While Sleepy’s is not BBB Accredited, it scores an A+ and lists all 894 of its complaints over the past 3 years as 1) low for its size of business and 2) 100% resolved.
How We Rate Sleepy’s
With the above considerations in mind, we rate Sleepy’s 4.5 Stars. This is based largely on its presence in the industry, including its buying power and ability to pass along sales, its exceptional BBB rating as well as its knowledgeable sales staff. What hurts Sleepy’s in our opinion is its huge selection; we question just how knowledgeable their staff can be, forget about their integrity in helping shoppers find the right mattress (but then again, they do offer an 8-year comfort guarantee).